Professional Development


CHC40413 Certificate IV in Youth Work

This qualification reflects the role of workers who develop and facilitate programs for young people through a range of community-based programs designed to address the social, behavioural, health, welfare, developmental and protection needs of young people. 

This work may be undertaken through employment in community, government and youth sector agencies and workers will be:

  • responsible for implementing policies and guidelines of the employing organisation
  • largely self-directed with fairly autonomous decision-making capacity under the indirect supervision of a manager.




CHC50413 Diploma of Youth Work 

This qualification reflects the role of people with responsibility for the development and the outcomes of programs and services for young people managed through a range of agencies and designed to meet the social, behavioural, health, welfare, developmental and protection needs of young people.

This work may be undertaken through employment in community, government and welfare agencies.


FAQ for Youth Workers


Any person over the age of 15 years already working in, or who wants to work or volunteer in “child-related work”, must hold a Working with Children Clearance Notice. Any person whose employer or volunteer organisation requires them to work with children as part of their employment or volunteering role must hold a Clearance Notice. You will need to fill in an application form in order to attain your Working with Children Clearance Notice and be issued with an Ochre Card.

Link to Working with Children website


Cultural Safety

- The Eleven Principles

Link to MS Word or Link to PDF


- Cultural Safety—Australian Rural and Remote Allied Health (SARRAH)

Link to MS Word or Link to PDF



The National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER)

The National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) is Australia's principal provider of vocational education training research and statistics.

NCVER provides research and statistical information to a wide range of stakeholders, including:

  • Ministers federal, and state and territory departments of education and training
  • Commonwealth, state and territory education and training authorities
  • VET practitioners and providers
  • Educational institutions
  • Researchers
  • International agencies
  • Industry skills councils
  • Employer- and employee-based associations or organisations
  • Community organisations.


Link to NCVER website.

Induction (youth worker)

How young Territorian’s make things happen





Youth Worker (NT)

Education and Training:

To become a youth worker you usually have to complete a VET qualification in youth work, youth justice, community services work or child, youth and family intervention. As subjects can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further details. You may be able to study through distance education.

You can also become a youth worker by studying community services work, social science, counselling or a related field at university. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your NTCET with English. Most universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact Open Universities Australia or the universities you are interested in for more information as requirements may change.

You can also become a youth worker through a traineeship in Youth Work, Youth Justice, Community Services Work or Community Services Advocacy. Entry requirements may vary but employers usually require Year 10. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

See the entries for Community Worker, Social Worker and Welfare Worker for further information.

Additional Information:

Once you are employed, you may be able to develop, and have recognised, additional skills under the Community Services Training Package that will expand your career opportunities within this industry.

Introductory training is available as a volunteer through Scouts, Guides, church groups and special welfare programs (e.g. Youthlink, Lifeline or YMCA/YWCA). In addition, some employing agencies offer in-service training for new employees in areas such as street work, counselling, group work and information services.

In order to work with children in the NT, you also need to obtain a Clearance Notice. See for more information. A current drivers licence may be required, and applicants may have to undergo a criminal history check.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

1.     Certificate II in Community Services

2.     Certificate II in Community Services (08) *

3.     Certificate II in Leadership Support

4.     Certificate III in Community Services Work

5.     Certificate IV in Youth Work

Employment Opportunities:

Youth workers are mainly employed in social welfare organisations and government departments that provide community services.

There is considerable demand for this occupation, although employment opportunities and job security are often dependent on government funding.

For Further Information:

Australian Youth Affairs Coalition

 (02) 9212 0500

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Community Services and Health Industry Skills Council Ltd

Northern Territory Correctional Services - Don Dale Juvenile Detention Centre

(08) 8922 0400

March 2016
28 29 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2